Intellectuals the dos and don'ts
- Point to the inadequacies of your own argument, thereby undermining you own position in a grovelling display of humility
- Then be as obscurantist as you can decently get away with yet obscurity can sometimes signal insecurity quite as much as arrogance.
- Show the listener that you are agonising about any claims you are making as all opinions are theories
- A cardinal rule is to show respect for the 'other' especially amongst peers in senior commons rooms
- Sprinkle some street wise into your tome so as you won't be accused of self-regarding solemnity
- Never commit the sin of teleology, or you might forever regarded as a pedant.